Spyware is one of the most common threats on the internet. It runs quietly in the background collecting your personal data without you even knowing it’s there. It then sends that information over the internet to a third party. It is this type of malicious software that infiltrates your computer or mobile device, secretly monitoring your internet activity. This software can record your login and passwords, keystrokes, and credit card or bank account information. In some cases, you might have unintentionally given it permission to install by agreeing to the terms and conditions of a supposedly legitimate program you downloaded without reading the fine print.
Spyware can also be picked up via drive-by download (viewing a compromised email or website can trigger an unintentional download). This software can also slow down your computer or cause it to crash. It can alter your settings, make changes to your hard drive, control webcams, install other malware, and be used to initiate coordinated attacks on computers over the Internet. Spyware is designed to be hidden so it can be hard to detect. Here are some ways to avoid downloading the infected software:
- Don’t accept a prompt or pop-up without reading it first.
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders.
- Don’t click on pop-up advertisements, or clickable ads.
- Use reputable antivirus software.
- Make sure your security software includes protection against spyware. Run scans regularly.
- Download only from known and trusted sources.
Iler Networking & Computing has a full software suite designed to combat Cybersecurity Threats, including Spyware! Call us today at 440-322-4537 to let us help you secure your data today!