With the steaming days of summer upon us, most business owners are looking for ways to keep their company’s sales up, while keeping their IT expenses low. But keeping in mind that if proper attention is not given to your servers or network equipment during the summer, the heat outside can cause serious damage to your equipment, causing your system to crash!
Excess heat IS a big problem for all computer equipment including laptops and PCs. But since your server is carrying the load, overheating will cost you more in electric bills and problems. And once a server gets too hot and blows out, it weakens components so that they are more susceptible to failure forever afterward, not just during the particular moment they overheated.
Here are 10 tips to help your server room stay cool this summer:
- Clean up the server room; a more open and organized room will increase air flow.
- If you have more than one server, arrange them in a row so that the cold air comes from the front and is pushed out the back cause a cooling affect.
- Keep doors to your server room closed, this will help in keeping cool air in and hot air out.
- Sealing off the server room will prevent dust buildup which has been known to contribute to electronic equipment overheating.
- Make sure cold air reaches all equipment in the server room.
- Have A/C that is designed for servers as a backup.
- Consider buying a rack enclosure that has the cooling system built into the bottom.
- Keep temperatures at or below 77 degrees.
- Use blanking panels over any vacant spaces on your server rack to prevent excess heat from building up.
- Consider virtualization to save on server space. This also help you generate a lower amount of heat in the first place.
Keep yourself and your servers cool this summer! If you need any help or have questions, give us a call or visit our website.
440-322-4537 or www.iler.com